Try this lighter, grain-free coconut crumb and enjoy the fresh-fish flavour without stodgy and starchy batters and coatings.
- 400-500 grams of any boneless, white flesh fillets (I’ve like Flathead or LIng)
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup of almond meal
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil (or olive oil) for frying
- Salt and pepper to season
Yoghurt and dill and caper dressing
- 1/2 cup of your choice of dairy free or Greek yoghurt
- 1 sprig of fresh dill, finely chopped or 1 tsp of dried
- 1/2 tsp of capers (extra if you love the taste)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Pat dry the fillets and depending upon the variety, run your fingers along each fillet to check for bones, remove as you go. Set aside.
- In one dish, crack and beat the eggs and in the other add in the coconut and almond meal and mix. Season the dry mix lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a plastic bag place the fish fillets and toss over the flour and gently move the fillets thoroughly to coat. Do this gently as not to break the fillets.
- Start the coating process by taking one fillet at a time in the tips of your fingers and shake gently to remove any excess flour. Then drip the fillet into egg wash and coat evenly, then move across to the coconut and almond meal bowl and coat liberally. Set aside on a tray.
- Repeat this process one by one. If you can manage it is handy to use one hand for the wet ingredients the other for the dry to avoid coating your hands!
- In a fry pan, bring the oil up to a lightly sizzling heat but avoid smoking. If this occurs simply remove the fry pan from the flame allowing to cool.
- Depending upon the amount of fish and the size of your fry pan you may need to work in batches. Place the fillets in the hot oil, keeping sufficient room around each and cook til golden. Remove from oil and set aside on baking tray – carefully.
- When all fillets are finished, place the baking tray in a warm oven while you prepare the dressing.
- To make the dressing combine all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Check the fish fillets, they should need no more than 5 mins.
- Remove from oven and plate up.