Versatile cauliflower is a fantastic alternative to potatoes if you are looking for something a little different in your next mash! Make it even more nutritious and guilt-free by swapping out the cream and butter for coconut milk.
This is delicious served with a roast, mid-week meal or anywhere you’d usually opt for mashed potato. This is so good you can even serve as a main meal.
- 1 x small cauliflower, chopped into florets
- Small onion, finely diced
- 2-3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- Salt and (white) pepper to season
- Place cauliflower florets and onion into a saucepan and cover with just enough water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and allow cauliflower to cook till with tender (check with the sharp end of a knife).
- Strain cauliflower and onions through a colander and set aside.
- Gently heat coconut cream in the saucepan and add sage and allow flavours to meld.
- When the coconut cream comes to a simmer, add in the cauliflower and onion and gently mix for 1-2 mins.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly.
- Depending upon how much liquid is in the saucepan, you can drain off and set aside – it’s easier to add it back in if too thick.
- Use a stick mixer or hand masher to blend the mixture till it resembles porridge.
- Season with salt and pepper.
*Optional – In the last step, add Parmesan cheese for a rich and rustic flavour.