Unless you’re celebrity A-Lister, we have those mornings! Got out on the wrong side of the bed, didn’t sleep well, missed your alarm? The list is endless!
On these days, rustling up a breakfast, for you any way is the furthest thing from your mind. Maybe you’re one of those people who don’t have much of an appetite in the morning? That used to be me, but over time I discovered the benefits, a nutritious kick-start made to my day, setting up a daily meal pattern to help prevent those dreaded, mid-afternoon cravings.
My Breakfast Boost Balls are a great way to start to your day and give a much needed energy boost to keep you satisfied til morning tea or lunch. A great alternative too if you’re trying to cut back on bread, as both variations below are wheat-free, with no added sugars and packed full of flavour!
Prepare for the week ahead by making a batch of these little beauties in advance. Providing they’re not devoured by your significant others, a great tip is pop a few in small mason jars and tuck away in the fridge. That way you can simply grab, toss in your bag on your way out the door, ready to take on the morning chaos!
Pistachio and Macha Boost Balls
Makes approx 8 balls
- 1 cup of quinoa flakes
- 3 tbsp of ground tahini paste
- 1tsp of macha powder
- 1/4 cup of pistachio kernels
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup or drizzle of honey
- 4 tspns of desicated coconut
- Place the desicated coconut and half a dozen of the pistachios in a food processor and blitz. Turn out into a small dish and set aside to coat the balls in later.
- Place all remaining ingredients in a food processor and blitz until all ingredients are combined.
- If the mixture is too wet simply add a little more quinoa flakes, or alternatively if too dry, add a small drizzle of coconut oil.
- The mixture should come together to form a dense consistency. Using a tablespoon, portion the mixture and roll into balls.
- Coat the balls generously in the coating made in the first step.
- Store finished Boost Balls in an airtight container/s in the fridge until chilled.
Mocha Date Boost Balls
Makes approx 8 balls
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup of almond meal
- 1/4 cup of hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp of ground coffee
- 2 heaped tbsp of raw cacao powder
- Simply take care to pit and roughly chop dates before blitzing in a food processor along with all other ingredients.
- Combine until ingredients resemble wet sand.
- Using a tablespoon, portion the mixture and roll into balls.
- Store finished Boost Balls in an airtight container in the fridge until chilled.
Breakfast Boost Balls