Nutritious, full-flavoured, lentil-stuffed capsicums packed full with luscious tomatoes infused with aromatic herbs is a perfect go-to dish for an instant immune boost.
Stuffed capsicums is the ideal way to dose up on vitamin C, the natural way. So be sure to have this recipe on repeat throughout the cooler months or when colds and hay fever start to strike. The ultimate winter warmer!
Serve with Greek Yoghurt, Labneh or Parmesan Cheese.
- Half butternut pumpkin
- 1 tsp of rosemary seeds and fennel seeds
- A small brown onion
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil for frying
- 4 whole capsicums
- 1 cup of organic lentils (tinned or soaked)
- Several stalks of parsley
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 x tinned tomatoes, whole or cherry
- Salt and pepper to season
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Chop the pumpkin into approx. 1/2 inch cubes and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with rosemary and fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a medium oven at approx. 180 degrees for 20-30 min or until lightly golden.
- Prepare capsicums by chopping the top section and gently remove the core, set aside.
- Pan fry onions, celery and cumin seeds in a small amount of olive oil until translucent.
- Add the lentils to the pan and mix to coat in the oil and herbs. Pour in the contents from one of the tinned tomatoes, mix and allow to gently simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Remove from heat and set aside until pumpkin is ready.
- Remove pumpkin from oven and combine with the lentil mix, fold in gently.
- Fill each of the capsicums with the filling and place into a deep baking tray, pour around the base the contents from the second tin.
- Place back in the oven and back for approx. 50-60 mins or until the capsicums have softened and taken on colour.
- Remove from the oven and (optional) sprinkle over grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt.