Hands up – anyone with an internal alarm clock set to 3pm? You’re not alone! No matter how well you eat, how diligently you commit to your weekly meal plan, it is inevitable the mid-afternoon sugar craving comes calling! Medjool dates are natures answer as a sensible, alternative sweetener.
This supremely delicious and oh-so moreish, bake-free slice is guaranteed to make you a massive hit at home and at office, should you choose to share! To ward off those pesky cravings til dinner requires some serious artillary across all fronts; fibre, carbohydrates, protein and sublime taste. To combat this, we double-down on quinoa, using both flakes and puffed for extra texture, crunchy cashews nuts and the natural, fibre richness of medjool dates.
Best of all, it’s delicious, quick, simple to make and so much better for you than any packaged, sugar-laden biscuit could ever offer!
- Approximately 16 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of quinoa flakes
- 1 cup of puffed quinoa
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup of raw cashews
- 3 tbsp of cashew nut butter
- 1 block of raw dark chocolate (optional)
- Line a tray with baking paper. I like to use a 14 inch quiche pan with a removable bottom.
- Place pitted dates and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan and simmer until the date mixture resembles a paste.
- Place quinoa flakes and puffs in a bowl together with coconut. Add in the date mixture and cashew nut butter and mix until combined.
- Press the crumbled mix into the lined tray and press firmly down to remove air pockets.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour til chilled.
- Coat with raw chocolate (optional)
- Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Use a sharp knife and slice into individual portions.
- Place in a lined, airtight container and keep chilled.