Fresh organic lamb is the hero of this delightful salad! Simply add 3 key ingredients; beetroots for heartiness, fresh rocket for crunch and pepperiness, topped finally by luscious goats cheese. All this and you’ve got yourself a delicious salad with flavours reminiscent of the sun-hardened, Greek countryside.
- 500 grams of organic lamb, diced (approx. 1 inch in size)
- 4-6 bulbs of fresh beetroot
- 1 large red onion
- Generous glug of olive oil (approx. 1/4 cup)
- Sprinkle of cumin seeds and aniseeds
- Goats Cheese
- Handful of raw pistachio kernels, roughly chopped
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups of fresh rocket
- Pomegranate seeds
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees and line a tray with baking paper.
- After removing the stalks and the woody base, wash and peel the beetroot and cut into halves or quarters (based on their size). Place on baking tray.
- Slice onions into quarters and place on tray.
- Drizzle olive oil across vegetables and season with salt and pepper and place tray in the oven to bake for approx. 35-35 minutes or until beets are just cooked.
- To tell whether beets are cooked, place the end of a sharp knife into the fleshy part of the bulb. If it sinks in easily, its cooked.
- At this point drain off any excess liquid from the tray into a cup which can be used later for dressing.
- Place lamb on the tray with the vegetables, drizzle over olive oil and sprinkle with spices.
- Place tray back in the oven for a further approx. 10 mins.
- Remove tray from oven and prepare a serving platter by placing one cup of rocket to form the bed.
- Start to assemble by arranging lamb and vegetables on top of and around the rocket. Add the final cup of rocket and finishing off with a final layer of lamb and vegetables.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and 2-3 tbsp. of baking juices.
- Sprinkle over pistachios and pomegranate seeds and finally break the goats cheese across the salad.