A nutritious and delightfully creamy quinoa porridge – without dairy, refined sugars and cereal grains for a light and clean start to the day!
This simple recipe, uses the whole grain quinoa, is a great base from which to tweak with your favorite combination of fresh fruit, nuts and seeds. Using pure maple syrup as a sweetener makes this an absolute go-to recipe breakfast, particularly during the cooler months.
Wondering what to do with any leftovers? Cold quinoa porridge is perfect served in individual pots for breakfast or as an on-the-go snack with a dollop of yoghurt, sprinkle of muesli and fruit.
- 1 cup, quinoa
- 1 cup, water
- 250 ml tin of coconut cream
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup
- Place water and almond milk in a saucepan on stove top and bring to a gentle boil
- Add in quinoa and allow to gently simmer for approximately 10 minutes stirring frequently to ensue the mixure does not catch on the bottom
- Allow the quinoa to absorb all the liquid in which time the quinoa should be al dente to taste
- Add the cream portion of the tinned coconut cream and allow to gently warm, removing from heat as the mixture thickens and comes to the boil
- Set aside as you prepare any fruit and seeds (I simply pan fried peaches, allowing to caramelise in their own natural sugars)
- Decorate and serve to your liking and store in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy!!