Looking for a creamy and garlic loaded baked potato dish, minus the guilt? Look no further than this lean and yummy take on traditional gratin.
If you like cheese and don’t like dairy then check out the dairy free options which are all over supermarkets now. There is such a broad range available from every day cheddars to artisan, hard and soft cheeses.
Of course this recipe is perfectly adaptable if you want to use white potatoes or even pumpkin or a combination of them all. Similar to the Roasted Cauliflower Bake, who needs cream when you can use coconut milk!
- 500 grams of sweet potatoes (4-5 good sized ones) sliced finely
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- 1 x onion, sliced
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 3-4 sages leaves, chopped
- 250 ml tin of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated dairy free cheese for either the sauce or the top or (more) both!!
- Pre heat oven to 160 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking tray.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes (ideal to use a mandolin here).
- Peel and thinly slice onions.
- In a large mixing bowl combine potatoes, onions, sage, pour over coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands gently combine to coat all slices in the liquid.
- Next and depending upon how much time you have will determine how rustic the dish will look! Layer the baking dish with the potatoes or simply pour in and arrange the vegetables.
- Finally top with cheese (optional) and a light season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 45 – 60 mins at least until golden brown.
Tip – insert with a sharp knife to test potatoes are evenly cooked.