Hash brown lovers unite! What a sweet victory for potato farmers and an even sweeter one for whole food lovers everywhere when sweet potatoes were dubbed a superfood.
Sweet Potatoes are also known as Kumara by our New Zealand cousins, this versatile potato imposter is packed full of nutrients, containing less starch than white potatoes.
I always make sure sweet potatoes are on stand-by in my kitchen as they feature in many of our families meals substituting white potatoes. I like to whip up a batch most Sunday’s which is refrigerated ready for the working week ahead!
When hunger strikes simply re-heat, either in the oven or in a frypan with a little coconut oil. Depending upon how much time you have, serve with avocado, kale, tomato, mushrooms – or the lot! Rest assured, toast will not be required!
- 2 x whole sweet potatoes, any variety works well
- 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed (or plain flour)
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped herbs of choice e.g. dill, parsley, coriander etc
- Green bullhorn chili, optional
- Oil for frying (suggest coconut)
- Season with Salt & Pepper
- Peel and grate the potatoes, add to a bowl and mix thoroughly with other ingredient’s.
- Form into patties and place gently into a drizzle of oil in fry pan.
- If you’re planning on refueling straight away, cook until nicely golden on each side. If preparing a batch in advance, cook until the color just turns as they can be finished off when you’re ready to enjoy.
- You can also place in a moderate to low oven till ready to serve.